Saturday, February 8, 2014

HOGGER GOES SOUTH - DAY 1 - (ERAU)

EMBRY- RIDDLE
AERONAUTIC
UNIVERSITY

Daytona Beach, FL
daytonabeach.erau.edu/
Mascot: The Eagles








Student Name:   Zach

Where are you from?:  Oklahoma City, OK

What is your major?
Aeronautic Space Engineering
Minor- High Performance Vehicle
(and very active member of the Rocket Club)

Why did you choose this institution?
I applied to USNA, Michigan, Notre Dame, Embry- Riddle and Purdue. I was accepted to all schools except for the Naval Academy because I am colorblind. The USNA was my first choice, but Embry-Riddle was a close second. I knew I wanted to Aeronautic Engineering and Embry-Riddle has the #1 program rated by US News & Report. I also thought it would be great to go to college 3 miles from Daytona Beach!

What is an Embry-Riddle tradition?
Every time a jet lands on our tarmat the entire school rushes to the airfield. The same thing happens when a rocket is launched from Kennedy Space Station.

What do you want to do after Embry-Riddle?
I want to work for Rolls-Royce. They interview on campus every year, I love high performance engines!
 
There is a strong military presence on campus. Zach’s roommate is ROTC and a Homeland Security major. About 30% of the student population are US military veterans. Other interesting stats the student body is 80% male and there are over 90 countries represented on campus.











I must admit that this is the first aeronautical university I have visited.  I have visited many engineering programs at many institutions, and to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised by the manner in which it still felt like a cohesive campus despite its clear emphasis on aeronatics.  There was also a very clear engineer pride on this campus, ranging from clever signage, to prominent display of the supercomputers/server rooms, and in the distinct manner in which students were genuinely proud of their focus and excitement about their field of study.

ERAU was also fascinating in that it owns 80 planes, and is located within sight of the Daytona International Speedway.

No comments:

Post a Comment